This Vegan Egg Bite Recipe makes the perfect quick, simple and healthy snack or lunch!
I’m constantly on a quest for the quickest, easiest meals and snacks, and this egg bite recipe might take the cake.
Egg bites first blew up after Starbucks made them insanely popular as a nutritious, portable breakfast option. Obviously, their base is eggs (as the name suggests!) so I knew I wouldn’t be able to enjoy them, so I set out to make my own vegan egg bite recipe. They also happen to be gluten-free!
I’m kind of obsessed with this recipe because they make the perfect protein-packed snack to power you through the day, or can be paired with some toast, fruit or a smoothie for a more filling breakfast! I’ve also been known to eat a few of these for lunch paired with a side salad.
What are egg bites?
Non-vegan egg bites basically require whisking together eggs, milk, cheese and veggies together then cooking them in a muffin tin to create a baked egg that’s portable and easy to eat.
I created this vegan egg bite recipe by using the same base I use to make my vegan omelet, with a few tweaks! The result is a light, fluffy, healthy breakfast or snack option that’s perfect for packed meals. Or, if you’re like me, perfect for those busy days when you need something quick!
Why you’ll love this egg bite recipe
- They’re so easy to make
- They’re absolutely delicious
- You can totally customize them based on your preferences!
- They freeze well, so you can make a bunch ahead of time
- They’re packed with plant-based protein, fiber and veggies
- If you’re not the biggest fan of beans, they’re a great way to include them
- They’re totally kid-friendly!
Main ingredients in this vegan egg bite recipe
Chickpea flour: This acts as the base for the chickpea flour cups. Chickpea flour is basically just ground up chickpeas into a fine powder, and is packed with plant-based protein, fiber and iron. It can be purchased at most health food stores, or you can make your own with a high powered blender or food processor by grinding up dried chickpeas until they’re the consistency of a flour.
Plant-Based Milk: I used oat milk, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand!
Nutritional Yeast: This adds a slightly cheesy, umami flavor to the egg cups! Plus, it’s high in protein and B-vitamins.
Vegetables: I’ve used bell peppers, mushrooms and red onion, but use whatever you like best.
Garlic powder, salt & pepper: For flavor! Feel free to get creative with other spices, like chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano etc.
Storing these vegan egg bites
Egg bites can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days once they’re cooked. They can also be frozen for up to 1 month.
- Cooking time may vary based on your oven. The egg bites should be cooked through the middle and slightly golden brown around the edges, but be careful not to overcook or they’ll be tough.
- These vegan egg bites can be eaten cold or reheated!
I hope you love this Vegan Egg Bite Recipe as much as I do! Make sure to leave me a rating and review, and don’t forget to check out my Pinterest page for even more recipes like this! Tag me on Instagram if you try these out, I’d love to see a photo!
Vegan Egg Bite Recipe
- Muffin tin
- 1 tsp avocado oil or cooking oil of choice
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 ⅓ cup plant-based milk of choice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups chopped vegetables of choice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease muffin tin with oil, or use muffin liners.
- Whisk together chickpea flour, plant-based milk of choice, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt and pepper until no lumps remain.
- Stir chopped vegetables into chickpea flour mixture.
- Pour chickpea flour and vegetable evenly into muffin tin, filling about half way.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden brown and middle is cooked through (do not overcook). Let cool, then enjoy!
Recipes like this Vegan Egg Bite Recipe you’ll love
Want to learn everything you need to know to thrive on a plant-based diet? Check out my online program, Thriving on Plant-Based Fundamentals!
Looking for more plant-based recipes? Get my favorite soup recipes exclusively in my e-cookbook, Everyday Vegan Soup!
Need some guidance on your journey with a vegan, vegetarian, or plant-based diet? We can work together virtually! Book your FREE 15-minute consultation to see if we’d be a good fit!
Want my FREE Easy Vegan Sauces Ebook? Sign up to my email list to receive it!