This Sticky Sesame Chickpea Recipe makes the most delicious, quick and easy recipe and is packed with flavor!
One thing I can never get enough of is quick and easy recipes. While I love cooking, I don’t love spending a ton of time cooking at lunch time when I have work to do, or at the end of the day if all I’m wanting to do is chill on the couch- you feel me?
But with that being said, I still want my meals to be delicious. And I also still want them to be pretty nutritious (most of the time!) to power me through a busy day or keep me feeling satisfied throughout the evening. Bonus points if it’s also cost effective!
Okay okay, I know this is an extensive list of demands… But here at Tasting to Thrive, these are all things I consider when creating recipes for you! They need to be delicious, nutritious, cost effective, quick and easy… Which is why I love this Sticky Sesame Chickpea Recipe.
This Sticky Sesame Chickpea Recipe hits all the right flavor components for me- It’s salty, sweet, slightly sour and has a delicious texture that will keep you wanting more. Plus, you can pair them with your favourite veg (I love using frozen broccoli!) and brown rice or rice noodle for a complete meal. It’s the perfect recipe to have in your back pocket when you’re craving something delicious but don’t know what.
Why You’ll Love this Sticky Sesame Chickpea Recipe
- These Sticky Sesame Chickpeas are absolutely packed with flavor. They have a savoury, salty, sweet and slightly nutty flavor that’s insanely delicious.
- They’re incredibly easy to make. It essentially requires just adding the ingredients to a pan and letting them simmer together for 10 minutes. If you’re using canned chickpeas, they’re even less time consuming to make!
- They’re versatile! Feel free to eat these sticky sesame chickpeas on their own as a snack or paired with brown rice and veggies of your choice for a more complete meal.
- They’re budget friendly. Since this recipe uses so few ingredients that are all cost effective, this is the perfect cost-effective meal!
Main Ingredients in this Sticky Sesame Chickpea Recipe
Chickpeas: Of course! I’ve used canned chickpeas in this recipe for ease and simplicity, but feel free to cook dried chickpeas ahead of time if you’d prefer. Chickpeas are an incredible source of plant-based protein and fiber, helping us to stay feeling fuelled and energized throughout our day!
Garlic and Ginger: Garlic and ginger add delicious flavor to these Sticky Sesame Chickpeas!
Maple Syrup: For sweetness! I love the depth of flavor and sweetness that maple syrup adds, but if you don’t have any on hand, feel free to substitute with regular sugar. You may have to increase the amount of corn starch, since maple syrup has a sticky texture.
Sesame oil: For sesame flavor!
Soy sauce: For saltiness and depth of flavor!
Rice vinegar: Rice vinegar balances out the flavors in these Sticky Sesame Chickpeas with acidity. If you don’t have rice vinegar on hand, a splash of apple cider vinegar or a squeeze of lemon would also work.
Vegetable broth: To add help create a sticky base for the chickpeas.
Corn starch: to make the chickpea mixture a little thicker and stickier.
How to Make this Sticky Sesame Chickpea Recipe
- Add all ingredients to a large pan over medium heat. Stir to mix.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, add the lid and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Serve and enjoy!
Sticky Sesame Chickpea Recipe
This Sticky Sesame Chickpea Recipe is the perfect quick and easy meal for lunch, dinner or meal prep!
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ tbsp maple syrup
- 540 mL chickpeas drained and rinsed, if using canned
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp corn starch
Add all ingredients to a large pan over medium heat. Stir to mix.
Bring mixture to a simmer, add the lid and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Serve and enjoy!
Feel free to substitute the corn starch for arrowroot powder!
Looking for More Chickpea Recipes?
To learn how to thrive on a plant-based diet, check out my online program, Thriving on Plant-Based Fundamentals!
Looking for more plant-based recipes? Get my favorite soup recipes exclusively in my e-cookbook, Everyday Vegan Soup!
Need some guidance on your journey with a vegan, vegetarian, or plant-based diet? We can work together virtually! Book your FREE 15-minute consultation to see if we’d be a good fit!
Want my FREE Easy Vegan Sauces Ebook? Sign up to my email list to receive it!