If you’re looking for a warming, comforting meal this creamy Vegan Mushroom Rice Soup is it!
Sometimes we just crave a hearty, warming meal, and for those times, there’s mushroom rice soup. I came up with this recipe idea when I wanted soup, but wanted it to be more satiating than just a vegetable soup but still equally as nourishing. This Vegan Mushroom Rice Soup combines seasonal vegetables, mushrooms, white navy beans and brown rice to create a creamy, healthy meal that’s so delicious you’ll be wanting seconds!
The great part about this soup is that it’s a complete meal in and of itself, which means it’s perfect to meal prep for the week ahead or to take to work for lunch. I love prepping a big batch of this at the beginning of the week for quick and easy lunches throughout the week.
Vegan Mushroom Rice Soup Main Ingredients
White Navy Beans: These beans are packed with plant-based protein, magnesium, iron and vitamin C and help to make this soup more satiating and nourshing to keep you feeling full and energized!
Brown rice: Brown rice is a great source of energizing carbohydrates, fiber and vitamin B6. Brown rice is what helps make this soup a complete meal!
Mushrooms: Mushrooms add a meaty texture and umami flavor to this soup. Mushrooms are a great source of B vitamins, which are so important to ensure you’re getting enough of.
Carrots & Celery: Carrots and celery are a delicious base to this soup and add a great dose of veggies!
Kale: Use kale to add some leafy greens to this soup! If you don’t have kale on hand, spinach, swiss chard or collard greens would also work great.
Herbs: We rely on thyme and oregano to give this soup an earthy flavor. Feel free to increase the amount of herbs if you like!
How to Make this Mushroom Rice Soup
- Sauté onion in a large soup pot over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Add celery, carrots, and mushroom and sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add flour, herbs, salt, and pepper and mix to combine with the vegetables. The vegetables should be coated in flour. If there are lumps, don’t worry about it!
- Add all remaining ingredients, besides kale, brown rice, and lemon and bring to a low boil, cover, then reduce heat and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, until carrots are fork-tender. If you’re cooking brown rice in the soup mixture, add it with the vegetable stock and increase the vegetable stock quantity by 1.5 cups.
- Once carrots are cooked (and rice, if adding uncooked), add kale, cooked brown rice, and lemon juice. Serve and enjoy!
- If you don’t have brown rice on hand, feel free to use any rice that you like! Wild rice is also delicious in this soup.
- Feel free to add more vegetable stock if you like the soup more ‘soupy’- Just make sure to adjust the seasoning and herbs as well.
- If you like a thicker soup, feel free to add more flour!
- If you’d like to cook the brown rice in the soup, add 3/4 cup of uncooked brown rice to the soup when you add the vegetable stock and increase vegetable stock by 1.5 cups.
Vegan Mushroom Rice Soup
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 540 mL white navy beans drained and rinsed if using canned
- 1½ cup cooked brown rice or ¾ cup if using uncooked
- 3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 large carrots diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
Sauté diced onion in olive oil in a large pot over medium heat until onion is translucent (about 3-4 minutes)
Add carrots, celery, mushroom and garlic. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
Add flour, salt, pepper, thyme and oregano. Mix to combine so that the vegetables are well coated in flour. If there are lumps, that's okay.
Add vegetable stock, plant-based milk, white navy beans, and brown rice if using uncooked. Bring soup to a low boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until carrots are fork tender and brown rice is cooked (if using uncooked brown rice).
Add kale, lemon juice, balsamic and brown rice (if using cooked). Cook until kale is wilted (about 3 minutes), serve and enjoy.
Looking for more soup recipes? Get all of my favorite soup recipes in my e-cookbook, Everyday Vegan Soups for just $10!
Join the waitlist for my online program, Thriving on Plant-Based Fundamentals.
Need some guidance on your journey with a vegan, vegetarian, or plant-based diet? We can work together virtually! Book your FREE 15-minute consultation.
Want my FREE Easy Vegan Sauces Ebook? Sign up to my email list to receive it!